We all agree there are plenty of reasons why one should visit Vatican City, here are some usual & unusual ones:
- It is the smallest country in the world by area (only 0.44 sq. km.) and population (less than 1000). For me, that kind of superlative is reason enough to go someplace, don’t you agree?
- It is right next to or rather surrounded on all sides by the lovely Rome, which makes it both easy to and silly not to visit if you are already in Rome. Everybody should go to Rome, but more about that in other posts 😉
- If you enjoy watching people and observing crowds, this is your heaven. Disregarding the size of this tiny nation millions of tourists from around the globe flock here – the Vatican Museum alone welcomes about 1.5 million each year.
- Even if you are not a religious person keen on a pilgrimage to the seat of the Roman Catholic Church, you’d want to take a look at the great works of art by giants like Michelangelo, Bernini, Botticelli and other Renaissance artists housed within and upon the walls of the vast St. Peter’s Basilica, Apostolic Palace and Sistine Chapel. There is no joy like spending hours walking through immense collections of art, sculpture and history, is there?
- Vatican City is also unique in that it is the only country that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in entirety. Incidentally, neighboring (or surrounding) Italy is the country with the most number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, the current number being 53. Obviously, all that art and history that makes it a valuable center worth conserving for posterity to observe, enjoy & learn from.
Have you been to Vatican City? What were your reasons to visit?